Why is disk space important a decade later?

What I’m failing to understand is the importance of disk space for a project that over the last decade has proven to be unscalable in it’s current form. The lightning network layer is a solution similar to how the internet evolved: sub-networks are created to handle a portion of the traffic. I honestly cannot recall reading an article about disk space being a concern compared to transaction costs and transaction speed. It was a noble idea to build a network that anyone could run on their computer but Bitcoin has ended up becoming something bigger. Having someone run their own lightning network node is still feasible…

If disk space is so important, why don’t they every 100 blocks or so aggregate all unspent transaction outputs into a newer “catch up” block so that you could archive/compress/whatever the older data. These nodes end up sitting on years of old data because one unspent transaction is still hanging out.

Or am I just missing something here?

1 Like

My understanding is that disk-space was more of a past concern for when it was assumed that everyone would be running their own node.

Bitcoin purists (aka Maximalists) will still argue that if you are not running a node and don’t control your own private keys, you aren’t really taking advantage of real power that Bitcoin offers.

It does beg the question if Satoshi just hadn’t forseen Layer 2 and Custody solutions like Coinbase taking off, or maybe it’s we who are missing the point and it will later become clear why we should all be running our own node?